By Miranda Carter
Alex de Carvalho
Welcome to Vocab Blast #2 about Travel! Read through each word and its definition, then take the quiz below. If you think you know travel words as well as your travel agent, you can go to the quiz directly. No peeking!
*Taxi – (aircraft)move slowly along the ground before takeoff or after landing.
I always get nervous when the plane taxis – it can be so bumpy!
*Lodging – a place in which someone lives or stays temporarily, or to stay at such a place.
“Where are we lodging?” asked the tired traveler. “I hope it’s a nice hotel.”
*Getaway – a vacation.
Our island getaway was fantastic, but I am so sunburned.
*Tourist – a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure
Being a tourist means getting lost, reading maps, and speaking a different language from
locals. I hate traveling!
*Destination – the place to which someone or something is going or being sent.
Once we reach our destination our vacation will officially begin.
*Boarding Pass – a pass for boarding an aircraft, given to a passenger when the ticket is issued or upon check-in at the airport
I lost my boarding pass and could not board the plane. Oh no!
*Reservation – the action of reserving something
The hotel lost our reservation, so we had to spend the night in the airport.
*Visa – an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country
My cousin from Brazil wants to visit America, but she is having trouble getting a visa to
*Passport – an official document issued by a government, certifying the holder’s identity and citizenship and entitling them to travel under its protection to and from foreign countries
Since my parents are from England and Canada and I was born in the United States, I have three passports: British, American, and Canadian.
*Airline – an organization providing a regular public air transportation on one or more routes.
Airlines are so greedy. They charge $25 or more for one checked bag…and they stopped giving out free snacks and drinks!
Now try the Quiz. Follow this link to the online quiz and check your answers right away!
If this is your first time on the English with a Smile website, please register your log in first (it’s free).
1. My favorite ______________ is Virgin Atlantic. They have great customer service and food, plus my flights are always smooth and fast.
2. I would love to try that new French restaurant, but I heard that making a ______________ is hard. So many people want to eat there!
3. “And where is your ______________ this evening?” asked the taxi driver. “I know all of the hotels in this area, so I can take you wherever you are staying.”
4. When the plane is about to ______________, make sure you’re wearing a seat belt.
5. I lost my ______________ and now I can’t go on vacation. I am also upset because it had so many stamps from different countries.
6. Before you get on a plane, an airline employee will scan your ______________ and make sure you have a seat on the flight.
7. I cannot wait until we reach our vacation ______________. I am so ready for swimming, water-skiing, and sunbathing!
8. I am American, so when I travel to Asia I am an American ______________. I love visiting new places.
9. Work made Sarah so tired that she decided she needed a weekend ______________. Fresh mountain air and her family’s cabin would fix things.
10. I applied for an international work ______________ but I haven’t heard anything yet. I need one to work overseas. I hope I get it in time for my new job in Thailand.
Did you like this quiz? Why not do some more Vocab Blasts?
Homonyms (Words that Sound the Same)
6 thoughts on “Vocab Blast #2: Travel – A Quick Way to Learn some Travel Words”