By Miranda Carter
Here are some school and college words that you should know! Read the definitions or do the quiz right away.
Exam – a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge
Semester – one of two usually 18-week periods that make up an academic year at a school or college
Graduation – the act of receiving a diploma or degree from a school, college, or university
Diploma – a document which shows that a person has finished a course of study or has graduated from a school
Tuition – the charge or fee for instruction, as at a private school or a college or university
Dormitory –a building on a school campus that has rooms where students can live
Campus – the grounds, often including the buildings, of a college, university, or school
Loan – a thing that is borrowed, especially a sum of money that is expected to be paid back with interest.
Seminar – a speaking-intensive class offered to a small group of students at a college or university
Major – a specialized field of study in college or university
Now do the Quiz. Follow this link to do the quiz online.
1. I can’t believe _____________at my school is so expensive. I paid over $20,000!
2. On graduation day I will receive my _____________.
3. When he was in college he lived in a _____________with other students.
4. Many of my classes were _____________, meaning most of the time students had open discussions with the professor.
5. My college’s _____________is beautiful. There are many trees, old buildings, and gardens.
6. What’s your _____________? Mine was English with an emphasis in writing.
7. I cannot wait until school is over. _____________is coming up soon and we will get our diplomas!
8. Are you going to take biology during the first or second _____________?
9. At the end of each semester I usually have at least one _____________ per course. I hate tests!
10. Many students have to take out a _____________ to pay for college.