Eunice If you want to learn the English language, you must certainly start to read English. Reading helps you in understanding a language better. But that’s not all. With English reading, you will get a better grasp on the language. Here are a few tips that will help you:
- Start by joining a good ESL class. You can find a class in your neighbourhood. If not, you can also find online classes.
- Always make sure that you get in touch with fellow ESL students. It helps you in sharing notes and experiences. Moreover, having a friend will always be fun. You can start finding friends on the English with a Smile Facebook page!
- Learning a second language takes time. You will listen, read and then start to write and speak. You should look for places where you can find good books. Always start with a few classics in the genre of your choice. You can find those in Penguin classics for example. If you know the story already because you’ve seen the movie or you know the book in your own language, this will help you understand difficult bits. Then, move ahead and read something contemporary.
- You can either buy books and move to a bigger house or focus on getting eBooks. There are many places where you can get eBooks. If you own a Kindle device or app, you can buy books from there. If you want, you can also get some amazing eBooks for free. Click on this link to find 100 resources to download legal eBooks for free.
- Buy a dictionary. It helps you in finding the right meaning as well as the right pronunciation of a word. While reading, you will come across words that you don’t understand fully. You can look those up in your dictionary. Don’t look up every single word. Try to focus on the flow of reading.
- You can use a dictionary to learn new words every day. You can start alphabetically and learn 5 words of one letter each day. This way, your vocabulary will steadily grow larger. Make sure that you keep a vocabulary diary.
- Always try to interact in English. A friend who is learning ESL will be helpful here as well. Conversing in English will make you feel more confident. This confidence will then be reflected in your English reading as well.
- Use a thesaurus. You can buy dictionaries that also have a thesaurus. Don’t use the same words all the time. See if there’s a different word for the same thing. This way you enhance your vocabulary.
- Keep an eye out for English sentence construction. While you are reading, try to identify sentence types, verb and tense variations. Practice this each day. It will improve your writing skills as well.
- In order to make English reading more fun, you should always select a genre of your choice. If you like science, don’t try to read romantic novels. And the other way round! The idea is to have fun when you’re reading, because you want to make this your lifetime habit.
2 thoughts on “Are You New to English Reading?”
No I can Read Englisg but i want to correct my grammar and I want to improve also my english skills
You can do exercises on my website englishwithasmile.net and sign up for the newsletter which gives you tips about grammar and other skills