by Olga Koliichuk
The answer is: A, and an.
We use articles all the time.
There are two types of articles : a/an, the.
a/an – Indefinite article
the – Definite article
Today we will talk about the indefinite article.
The indefinite article a has another form an if it stands before the word beginning with a vowel (a, o, u, e, o).
Note: You use an only when you SAY the word with a vowel. For instance, you don’t write or say an university, even though university starts with a u. Why not? Because university is said with a [y] sound at the beginning.
Have a look at some examples:
|Words with a||Words with an|
|A dog||An apple|
|A cherry||An egg|
|A unique holiday spot||An umbrella|
|A jeep||An irresistible attraction|
|A party||An elephant|
Uses of A/An
– A/an is used with countable nouns. We call a noun countable if we can count it.
E.g. a cat – two cats, three cats (we can count cats)
An orange – five oranges (we can count oranges)
Note: You can’t say a money or an oil. These are uncountable words. One money or one oil doesn’t exist.
If the word is mentioned by the speaker for the first time, it takes the indefinite article.
E.g. Then I saw a ship on the horizon.
A/an has the meaning of “one.”
E.g. Two times a day, once a week
Give me a beer, please.
He has won a hundred dollars.
When we talk about professions, we also use a/an.
E.g. I am a marketing assistant.
I am an astronaut.
If we use a noun in a general meaning, we put a/an.
E.g. A cat is a pet animal.
A leopard runs fast.
We use A/AN in exclamatory sentences before countable nouns in the singular.
E.g. What a wonderful world!
What a tasty cake!
Do you use A, AN or nothing?
- ______ dog will make you feel less alone.
- ____love is all you need.
- You should take this medicine four times ________ day. Not less.
- My niece wants _______ ice-cream.
- What _____ beautiful flowers!
- What _______ polite girl!
- I bought _____ new computer yesterday.
- Is he ______ doctor? Yes, he is ____ surgeon.
- ______ computer is ________ universal device.
- You would like _____ advocate to represent you, wouldn’t you?
- ___A___ dog will make you feel less alone.
- __-__love is all you need.
- You should take this medicine four times ____a____ day. Not less.
- My niece wants __an_____ ice-cream.
- What ___-__ beautiful flowers!
- What __a_____ polite girl!
- I bought _a____ new computer yesterday.
- Is he __a____ doctor? Yes, he is __a__ surgeon.
- __a____ computer is _____a___ universal device.
- You would like __an___ advocate to represent you, wouldn’t you?